Saturday, June 9, 2012

Roasted Chicken Recipe with
Potatoes and Vegetables


This was an experiment for me as I usually boil the whole chicken on the stove top or use and oven bag. I thought I would give roasting a try to enjoy the crispy skin. I read a little about how to brine a chicken and was excited to try this however didn't have sufficient time to do so. 


Due to lack of time and my rumbling tummy I decided to place the cleaned (Rinse entire bird, clean cavity) chicken in a pot of cold water and I added in approx 1 cup of water that I had boiled with 3 tbls sea salt. I let the chicken soak in this for approx 30 min and I started to prepare the potato-vegetable mixture.


Pre-heat oven to 350


Potatoes and Vegetables
3 Carrots 
1 Parsnip
1 Rutabaga
1 cup Broccoli Florets
1 cup Cauliflower Florets
1 large sweet potato
2 small red potatoes
1/2 package of fingerling potatoes of your choice (I cut these in half or quarter)
Olive oil (1 to 3 tbls)


Chop and cube the vegetables and potatoes. Place into lightly greased pan (I used olive oil for this). Drizzle 1 to 2 tbls oil over the mixture and sprinkle with the following spices; Rosemary, Thyme, Celery Salt, Oregano, Minced Onion, Allspice, Pepper. Toss mixture to coat evenly and set aside.


Chicken
Whole Chicken
Olive Oil
32 fl oz. Chicken Stock (I prefer Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock - Very few ingredients and as of now does not contain garlic)
1 tbls Orange Juice
1 tbls Brown Sugar
1 tbls. Maple Syrup
herbs de Provence
All Spice
1/2 white or yellow onion
2 cuties (oranges)
Fresh Mint, Cilantro, Bay Leaf


Remove chicken from salt water mix and rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken in greased pan. Rub the chicken with olive oil, orange juice, 2tlbs Stock, Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup. Sprinkle herbs de Provence and all spice over entire chicken (coat evenly). Place a few slices of the cuties under the chicken skin and the rest into the cavity. Place chopped onion, mint, cilantro and bay leaf into the cavity. Add two two cups of stock into pan.


Place Chicken into oven and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (chicken should reach a temp of 190). Baste every 30 mins. 
Add vegetables into oven 45 mins into cooking. Vegetables should take 30-40 mins to cook, should stir halfway through to prevent sticking. 
** Note: My thermometer reads 190 for Poultry, some may say 180.


Use remaining stock and stock from chicken (once cooked) to make gravy. Bring liquid to a boil, mix together 1/2 cup cold water with 3 tbls Tapioca flour or Corn Starch to thicken stirring constantly, return to boil then simmer for a few minutes. Add more flour if you like your gravy thicker.


** Garlic is an allergen on my list so all ingredients included in this recipe are free of this ingredient. **


Want to See More Healthy Chicken Recipes? Click Here!




1 comment:

  1. I've nominated you for the "Liebster Award"! Check it out, and thanks for having a great blog :)
    http://skinnysimplerecipes.blogspot.ca/2012/08/skinny-fish-tacos-award.html

    ReplyDelete